Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Burglar Skills & Old Friends

Hello Peeps,

It has been another exciting week. It started off last Monday night when I got to practice my rock climbing skills, thank you Mike Wagner for those, and burglar skills. Here is how it happened: At the Ntinda apartments there are 4 floors, all rented by the church for senior couples and normal full time missionaries. Anyways a major design flaw in the place is there is no outside door handle. If you close the door and don't have the key you are locked out. So after we set up a bed in the Sisters apartment on the fourth floor my companion out of habit closed the door behind him. He is was/is new to the place and hasn't sen the past 3 or 4 instances where this has happened. Well better yet when we got the spare form the Senior Couple turns out the Sisters had left their key in the door on the inside so the 2nd great design flaw is the spare won't work if there is another key in the door. So the sisters were thinking they were going to have to sleep at the Senior couples house for a night but I discovered that it is easy to climb up from one balcony to another. I tested it from the second floor balcony to the 3rd floor. So we found some rope and swung it over the rail and I climbed up to the 4th floor and unlocked the side door into the sisters. It was fun. Got to be spider man sorta. Then as we did inspections we found out someone tried to break into an empty apartment so we went there. the guy was trying to use acid on the lock so we couldn't unlock it with a key so we have to saw it off and buy a new on. And that sums up all my burglar skills I practices this week. Lots of breaking and entering things.

Then on Sunday was the highlight of my week! We had a stake broadcast so everyone n the Kampala north area all came to the Kololo Chapel. I saw all my old friends from Seeta! Where I started my mission! Specifically I saw one family that I came to love so very much. Brother Humphrey's family. He was an Recent Convert when I came and had lost his job and by the time I left had been jobless for about a year and a half. Luckily he owned his home but he was barely surviving. His family lived off a small amount of money earned by his wife. And from what I got it didn't supply every meal maybe one a day. But he was always so happy to see missionaries and I loved his kids so very much! Anyways, soon after I left he got a job! Making good money as a factory manager or something like that. And when I saw him he was so happy to see me. Thanked me for all that I did for his family and such. It made me feel so good. However, a lesson i have seen before really hit home this time. You may feel like you haven't done much, you may forget what you have said but you can change people's lives without knowing it. You always hear stories how a missionary baptized maybe one person or even shared one lesson with someone but later on from that small and simple act lives and families have been changed. I honestly don't think I did much for this family but I guess my love was enough. And I will always remember this family as well. Even I was so happy to see Hiram and Haggi too (they are his two youngest children).

Always remember to be nice and love people! As my dad has told me many times "It is better to be nice than cool." I have seen how being nice can bless people even when you don't think it did much!

I love you all! Have a great week!
Love Elder Seibert​​​​​​

Photos: My climbing adventure, Elder Quateng cutting the lock and Brother Humphrey, Sister Robinah, Hilda, Hermon, Haggi, and Hiram (youngest to oldest), plus someone else, i assume it is there maid

No comments:

Post a Comment